The NYC Well can connect you with a trained Peer Support Specialist who will support you during a crisis and listen when you need to talk with someone. Our Peer Support Specialists’ own experiences with mental health or substance misuse challenges can help you move through difficult times and introduce some of the choices that are available for you to deal with your emotional challenges. Peer Support Specialists know firsthand how important it is to have someone who can listen and support you in the journey of improving your life.
When you call NYC Well press 2 for English, 3 for Spanish, 4 for Mandarin or Cantonese, then press 1 to speak or chat with a Peer Support Specialist. Available in English, Spanish, Mandarin and Cantonese 24/7/365.
When you text NYC Well, text 1 for English, 2 for Spanish, 3 for Chinese, then press 4 to text with a Peer Support Specialist.
When you chat with NYC Well, select the “Chat Now with a Peer Support Specialist” button. To chat in English, Spanish, or Chinese, enter the chat room and chat in your language. You will be connected with a counselor in your language.
How Peer Support Specialists Can Help
- Peer Support Specialists give hope and encouragement that their challenges are not permanent and that they can lead a meaningful and productive life.
- They help you learn how to be effective in communicating your needs to your care providers.
- Peer Support Specialists are able to provide tools to prevent a mental health crisis from getting worse.
- Speaking with someone who has personal experience going through what you are going through can help you feel that you are not alone.
- Peer Support Specialists can provide you with information about supportive services like supported housing or supported employment to help get you back on your feet.
Message from a Peer Support Specialist
HS: “I’ve been around the block & across the street on my tricycle. I am proud to say that it is possible for everyone to make progress in overcoming their mental health or substance misuse challenges. Personally I have received many types of service over the years and never found a “quick fix…” It was only through trial & error and the help of others who believed in me and the possibility of recovery that I began to believe in myself. They called themselves “Peers” – I learned that they had similar experiences to mine and that they did recover. Their example and willingness to share their experience offered me hope when I had lost mine. Today, as a Peer Support Specialist for NYC Well, I am able offer that hope to others. To everyone who has been told “No, you can’t” I am here to say “Yes, you can!” I am proud to be blazing a path with NYC Well – we are going to do great things together!”