Here are 9 ways to have less stress in under a minute.
- Breathe. Take a big breath in and feel your stomach muscles relax. Hold it for a moment. Purse your lips, and blow your breath out slowly as if you are blowing out candles on a birthday cake. Feel your stomach muscles tighten as you empty your breath. Do it again 2 times or more if needed.
- Smile- even if you don’t feel like smiling! Smiling releases natural chemicals that lowers blood pressure and increases relaxation.
- Relax your Mouth. Let your tongue go relax and slightly open your mouth. This sends a message to your brain to turn off the stress hormones.
- Laugh! Laughing increases blood flow and boosts your ability to fight sickness.
- Give yourself a hug. Hugging releases hormones that keep you healthier.
- Shrug your shoulders. Bring your shoulders up to your ears for a slow count of 5, then release.
- Exercise. Do some quick squats, jumping jacks, running in place, etc.…Exercise releases chemicals that help with depression.
- Peel an orange – seriously! Then inhale the smell. Research shows that the smell of citrus relaxes people.
- Say Thank You. Really. Think of things you are grateful for. It is a well-known stress reducer.